Many people think that choosing a flashlight process is an easy task, not requiring a lot of time. However, this opinion quickly changes to the opposite when it comes to the need to solve this problem. The batteries’ variety, technology and materials used in modern flashlights can cause headaches. When choosing a suitable portable device, it is worth considering numerous characteristics and factors. Next, let’s talk about it.
If you need a flashlight
The first thing to decide what functions will be required to perform the chosen flashlight. If you just need to light your way in the dark building section hall entrance, it is better to give preference to lighting devices compact and economical models.
A completely different matter if the device is required for nature or an evening bike ride. Head-up models that allow keeping your hands free are suitable for the first case. Cyclists should turn their own eyes to the flashlights, having a powerful beam, emergency flashing lights and the ability to attach to a two-wheeled vehicle steering wheel. Each individual flashlight is designed to be used in specific situations. Before you buy, you should find out about this factor.
The flashlights type
Let’s highlight the flashlights main varieties:
- Compact hand models. Designed to illuminate the road and search for small objects in the dark. Such devices can help out in unexpected situations. Often, these are small portable LED flashlights and convenient for everyday use.
- Full-size manual variations. They are used when the device high power is required for a long time. The flashlights are equipped with powerful batteries,
- Flashlights on the forehead. They help to work in places where lighting is insufficient. The glow distance can be up to 30 meters. Variations on the head are used by builders, cyclists, motorists, tourists, hunters, doctors,
- tourist lights. They are distinguished by resistance to mechanical stress, moisture resistance, compactness and practicality,
- devices for diving. They are characterized by high water resistance and the light stream changing the color rendering function.
- Flashlights-shockers. These are not only personal lights, but also self-defense effective means. Devices can be a painfully electric shock even through thick outerwear,
- Searchlights. Models used for carrying in hand and featuring high range and brightness. Supplied with a batteries large number. The lighting range can be 250 meters,
- Tactical variations. Designed for law enforcement agencies. Attached to firearms by a dovetail connection means or a Picatinny rail.
What parameters are important in choosing
Among the flashlights main characteristics that should be considered when choosing them, it should be noted:
- Lighting devices overall dimensions,
- glow sources. As they can be used incandescent lamps, xenon, halogen lamps or LEDs,
- resistance to environmental influences (frost and moisture resistance),
- the luminous flux brightness. Allows determining the light coming out amount. Light intensity shows how effectively brightness is applied. This indicator reflects the optical system (electronic control system, reflector, LED, focusing system) overall quality,
- job duration. It is defined as the longest time interval after which the brightness decreases from the maximum value to 10%,
- the operating modes number. The devices can emit different range and power light beams,
- the flashlight ranges. Measured in meters and displays the distance when the illumination remains within 0.25 lux,
- additional functions availability.
LED variations are a durability and efficiency example. The LED technology virtues have made flesh-lights hopelessly obsolete other types. Krypton incandescent lamps found in older lighting devices lag behind their LED counterparts in run-time terms, energy efficiency, brightness, and shock resistance.
Form and materials
Often, flashlight bodies are made of aluminum alloy or plastic. The composition may also contain stainless steel. It is used to obtain a better impact resistance. Also, copper, brass, titanium can be used in the portable lighting devices manufacture.
The cylindrical shape is the most common. Since such devices can roll off horizontal planes, their surfaces can be supplemented with special tactical rings or clips. Also, the body can be equipped with notches (knurling) for a better fit in the hand. Thanks to the notches, the flashlight will not slip out.
Additional functions in portable flashlights
Modern flashlights can be supplemented with an electric shocker, which can be excellent self-defense means. They can deliver a fairly powerful discharge. Also, the discharge crackling sound can scare away dogs.
Some models may emit UV light. Thanks to it, it is possible to reveal the spots hidden from our eyes that are present on bed linen and furniture. Camping lights are often equipped with small solar panels, with which the devices are charged without an outlet.
Certain flashlights are complemented by magnetic elements in the housing. This allows them to be fixed to metal surfaces. The “strobe” function, present in some lighting devices, will make the owner more visible in harsh weather conditions.